Temples in Varna
The Cathedral of the Assumption of the Virgin, built in the 19th century, houses a finely carved iconostasis and bishop’s throne as well as some interesting murals and stained glass.
The temple was built with the donation of the Russian citizen Paraskeva Nicolau / Nikolaev / native of Varna. According to his will, he determines the amount of 50,000 rubles and at his request the church received the name Church of St. Nicholas.
Today, thanks to its location, the Monastery of “Staints Constantine and Helena” is frequented by the thousands of Bulgarian and foreign guests of the resort, and enjoys their special attention.
The church “St. Athanasius” is situated near the Roman Baths in Varna. It was built in August 1838 on the ruins of a small church bearing the same name burned in 1836 in this place.
This temple’s historical data goes back to year 1602 when in fact it was built. During the construction has been found that in the past there was also a temple.
Characteristic of this church are its icons, whose faces look south, not west, which is contrary to church writings and canons. Experts estimate the icons that are located in the temple as great wealth and treasure, which can boast of very few churches.
On the second floor of the building is located the Catholic Chapel “St. Michael”. Also there is the canteen for poor and unemployed, old, weary and sick people in the care of the Sisters of the Order of the “Mother Theresa” – this is the first house of the Order in Bulgaria, opened in 1994.
From flight sight the Armenian Church has the shape of a cross with a multiwall pyramid-dome of the belfry. This style of domes is found only in Armenian and Georgian churches. Founder of the building is H. Sarkis and builder is APRA – a journeyman known as an artist of his time.
The St Paraskeva Petka Church – also known simply as Sveta Petka – was founded in the first years of the 20th Century. Unlike some other churches in the city, it remains intact in its original state. It was not painted until 1973 when a number of icons were added to the walls.
The Azazie mosque was built in 1795 (according to some information). Like the most mosques and in this one the praying hall are towards Meka. The mosque is low building with a small yard in the middle. The minaret is at the west side, to the right of the entrance. The minaret is with square base.
The Catholic Church was built in 1890 after the design of the Italian architect Valentino. Built in the typical Gothic style, the Catholic Church in Varna retaining a much greater simplicity in comparison with most of the Catholic churches in Bulgaria. Its construction began along with that of the Catholic Cathedral of St. Paul in Rousse.