The Monument of the Fallen in the Serbo-Bulgarian War (1885) is the only one that reflects the active participation of 8th Coastal Infantry Regiment of Varna in this war.
In the summer of 1885, the Regiment took part in the victorious battles at Slivnitsa, Dragoman, Tsaribrod and Pirot. During the war, the people who gave their lives were 249 – officers and soldiers. The Monument was set up to the initiative of the survivors. The Monument rises as high as 8.60 m and has a pyramid-like architectural composition following the design of most Russian war monuments. Four commemorative plates of white marble, along with a gilded St. Andrew’s cross (the only gilded cross in Varna by that time), were mounted on the Monument.
The Pantheon of the Fallen in Wars in the Sea Garden was inaugurated on November 6, 1959.
The enormous statuary on top of the monument is presenting two brave soldiers in the height of a fight. The ossuary is situated below the ground level. On the memorial walls are engraved the names of the fallen in the period 1923 -1944.
The first astronomical complex named after the Polish scholar Nicolaus Copernicus started operating in Bulgaria on 22 May 1968. It includes an astronomical observatory, planetarium, and a Foucault pendulum tower. There is a monument of Copernicus in front of the planetarium entrance and its authors are prof. L. Dalchev and P. Atanassov.
In the early 20th century was built and preserved for the future generations the unique Varna Alley of the Bulgarian National Revival. The Bulgarian Revival Committee, established in 1908, had as its prime target the erection of 22 monuments in the Sea Garden in Varna; of them – 20 dedicated to prominent figures from the periods of the National Revival and the Liberation from Ottoman domination, and the other two – to Science and Liberty.
The Monument of the Border Guard back in the days the place was used as a frontier-post. The monument was build in 1917, initially with a marble sculpture of an eagle. In 1922 the sculpture was replaced by a new one – “Border guard with a dog”. In 1988 the monument was renovated completely.
This is one of the most charming places along the Bulgarian Black Sea coast. Located 2 km into the sea, Kaliakra is the longest cape along the Bulgarian Black Sea coast. The name Kaliakra, which means “beautiful cape”, was first mentioned in the 13th – 14th centuries. In the 14th century the Bulgarian state was divided in three, and Kaliakra became centre of its eastern-most part and established itself as a big international harbour.
The Portal-Monument (1936) is the only of its kind in the Balkans, dedicated to a sole regiment (or whatever military unit).
Karel Skorpil was a prominent explorer, who preserved and popularized his discoveries – he established the Archeological Museum of Varna, and now his collection ranks among the best and richest in the Balkans. The bust of K. Skorpil’s (now on the grounds of the Roman Thermal Baths (since 1963)) was made in Czechoslovakia and granted to Varna.
Monument tomb for the homeland officers, non-commissioned officers and soldiers who died in the wars of Balkan Wars (1912-1913) and the World War I (1914-1918).
By the end of 1935, the monument was built in the style of a common grave with 7-meter cross. On the plates are engraved the names of 240 killed officers and soldiers.
The Alley of cosmonauts is located near the Pantheon in the Sea Garden. The tradition for planting coniferous trees by Russian cosmonauts, who came to Varna, is unique. The first tree was planted by Yuri Gagarin on 26 May 1961 who started the tradition. Among the names you can read and those of Bulgarian cosmonauts Georgi Ivanov and Alexander Alexandrov. In the alley you will see the names of G.S.Titov, Valentina Tereshkova, Aleksey Leonov, etc.
The fortress was declared an architectural monument of culture of national importance by virtue of publication in State Gazette, issue No 73 of 1967, while Cape Kaliakra was declared a nature preserve by Ordinance No 16298 of the Council of Ministers of 27 September, 1941. A museum that preserves many archaeological finds discovered on the territory of the reserve is set up in one of the caves of Cape Kaliakra. The model that demonstrates how the ancient fortress looked like in the past is one of the most attractive exhibits in the museum.
Sanctify on November 10, 1940 a symbol of united Bulgaria is the bust-monument to the great revolutionary Stefan Karadzha.
Stefan Karadzha or Stefan Todorov Dimov was born on May 11, 1840 in the village Ichme – Stefan Karadjovo today. He is famous for his revolutionary work, a participant in the Bulgarian national liberation movement. Along with Hadji Dimitar he led a group of 129 people and on July 6, 1868 passed the Danube. In the battle in the area Kanladere nearby Vishovgrad Stefan Karadja is badly wounded and captured. On July 31, 1868 he was hanged.
The monument’s height is over 8 meters. It is made of brass and was casted in Sofia.
The frescoes that are displayed around the base of the monument represent various historic segments of Tsar Kaloyan rule and the way he dealt with, including the siege of Varna and the dealing with Church of Rome and the Crusaders.Observant viewers will note that only one hoof of the horse is in the air, this in urban legend language denotes that he did not actually die in battle but may have died from wounds obtained in battle.
The Park-Monument was designed and dedicated to Bulgarian-Soviet Friendship. It was built from 1974-1978 on Crane Hill at a height of 110 m. That is the biggest monument in the whole Varna area – its height is 23 m., and its width – 48 m. The structure comprises two dynamic forms got together, built as an open composition. The colossal figures are 4 soldiers for the north, and 3 women – for the south wing. From the base of the hill – to its top, there leads a staircase of 301 steps – the so-called Staircase of Victory.