Attractions in VarnaPlease take a look at the list of local attractions that we have prepared for you.
The University Hospital “St. Marina” – Varna is a clinical base of Medical University Varna and is the biggest diagnostic and consultative hospital in the region. It has one of the latest and highly specialized equipment in Bulgaria allowing various medical services and application of advanced diagnostic and treatment approaches.
Naval Academy “N. Vaptsarov ” is the oldest technical school in Bulgaria. It is one of the symbols of Varna and Bulgaria in the world maritime community thanks to its illustrous history and traditions in training sea specialists. At present, the Academy trains specialist for the Navy and for the merchant marine in all areas of maritime life.
The Monument of the Fallen in the Serbo-Bulgarian War (1885) is the only one that reflects the active participation of 8th Coastal Infantry Regiment of Varna in this war.
In the summer of 1885, the Regiment took part in the victorious battles at Slivnitsa, Dragoman, Tsaribrod and Pirot. During the war, the people who gave their lives were 249 – officers and soldiers. The Monument was set up to the initiative of the survivors. The Monument rises as high as 8.60 m and has a pyramid-like architectural composition following the design of most Russian war monuments. Four commemorative plates of white marble, along with a gilded St. Andrew’s cross (the only gilded cross in Varna by that time), were mounted on the Monument.
The mission of Varna Medical University is to meet the needs of society for highly qualified medical and management personnel in the fields of health and social care in accordance with the international standards and national strategies for educational and public health development, to develop fundamental and applied scientific research, innovations and new technologies and improve the nation’s health.
The University of Economics – Varna is the first Bulgarian institution of higher education of commerce with 94 years of experience.
It provides globally recognized diplomas in the fields of Economics, Administration and Management, Tourism, Informatics and Computer Sciences. 20 accredited Bachelor’s degree programmes and 30 Master’s degree programmes. Three programmes taught in English and two in Russian. Projects under ERASMUS+, CEEPUS for training through educational exchange and agreements with 70 universities in Europe. Traineeship programmes in Bulgaria and abroad.
Palace of Culture and Sports in Varna was completed in 1968. It is a multifunctional complex for cultural, congress and sporting events. Has 6 multi-purpose halls, recreation center, fitness center, press center and a modern shopping center.
The Sea Garden is the Varna’s largest, oldest and best known public park, also said to be the largest landscaped park in the Balkans. Located along the city’s coast on the Black Sea, it is an important tourist attraction and a national monument of landscape architecture.
The Roman Therms are the biggest ancient public building found in Bulgaria and on the Balkan Peninsula. The comparatively well preserved walls outline an impressive structure, built on more than 7000 square meters.
The Cathedral of the Assumption of the Virgin, built in the 19th century, houses a finely carved iconostasis and bishop’s throne as well as some interesting murals and stained glass.
The Varna Aquarium is a public aquarium in Varna and its exhibition focuses on the Black Sea’s flora and fauna – that includes over 140 fish species, but also features freshwater fish, Mediterranean fish, exotic species from faraway areas of the World Ocean, mussels and algae.
Aladzha Monastery is a medieval Orthodox Christian cave monastery complex in northeastern Bulgaria, 17 km north of central Varna and 3 km west of Golden Sands beach resort, in a protected forest area adjacent to the Golden Sands Nature Park.
The Tourist Information Center of Varna is a place where you can find a detailed information about:
- city information and travel advices;
- natural sights, cultural and educational institutions, monuments and landmarks;
The Royal Castle of Evksinograd is located at a distance of 3 kilometers south of St. St. Constantine and Helena Resort. The complex used to be a royal summer residence for the monarchs who ruled Bulgaria after the liberation of the country from the Ottoman Dominion (1878) – Alexander Battenberg, Ferdinand and Boris III.
The Navy Club was built in the end of 19th century on December 10, 1900 by the design of two architects – Todor Boyadzhiev from Varna and the Frenchman Pierre. The first New Year’s grand ball in Varna was organized in the Club after the Liberation (1878), on the occasion of the beginning of the new century. With its imposing architectural style, dominates at the corner of the principal Varna boulevards Maria Louisa and Vladislav Varnenchik – opposite the Cathedral.
Technical University – Varna was established in 1962. It strives to provide engineers for shipbuilding, transport, machinery, electricity and communications technology needed for industrial complexes in chemistry, shipbuilding and ship repair, engine building, transport, electrical engineering, electronics and communications developing in northeastern Bulgaria.
The Pantheon of the Fallen in Wars in the Sea Garden was inaugurated on November 6, 1959.
The enormous statuary on top of the monument is presenting two brave soldiers in the height of a fight. The ossuary is situated below the ground level. On the memorial walls are engraved the names of the fallen in the period 1923 -1944.
The first astronomical complex named after the Polish scholar Nicolaus Copernicus started operating in Bulgaria on 22 May 1968. It includes an astronomical observatory, planetarium, and a Foucault pendulum tower. There is a monument of Copernicus in front of the planetarium entrance and its authors are prof. L. Dalchev and P. Atanassov.
In the early 20th century was built and preserved for the future generations the unique Varna Alley of the Bulgarian National Revival. The Bulgarian Revival Committee, established in 1908, had as its prime target the erection of 22 monuments in the Sea Garden in Varna; of them – 20 dedicated to prominent figures from the periods of the National Revival and the Liberation from Ottoman domination, and the other two – to Science and Liberty.
The Stone Forest, also known as Pobiti Kamani is a desert-like rock phenomenon which is considered of the only desert in Bulgaria and one of few found in Europe. The natural attraction is consists of cylindrical stone columns fixed in a small desert.
Varna Airport is the third largest airport in Bulgaria. It was built in 1946 and is located 10 kilometers from the center of Varna near the town of Aksakovo. The airport serves Varna and northeastern Bulgaria.
The Planetarium in Varna is one of the most famous attractions in the city. Located just beside the entry of the Sea garden, it is visited by thousands of tourists.
The temple was built with the donation of the Russian citizen Paraskeva Nicolau / Nikolaev / native of Varna. According to his will, he determines the amount of 50,000 rubles and at his request the church received the name Church of St. Nicholas.
The historical-ethnographical complex ProtoBulgarian village Fanagoria is the onе of its kind outdoor acting museum in Bulgaria. Phanagoria was a town dating from 543 years BC, founded by Teian colonists from Asia Minor. The city took its name after one of its founders- Phanagoras and it was supposedly the capital of Volga Bulgaria.
Varna became a key economic, cultural and administrative center of the new independent Bulgarian state, in the late 19th century. The government made a decision in 1888 to build new seaports in both Varna and Burgas. The port facility was designed in accordance with the modern European standards at the time.
Varna Archaeological Museum is a historical and archaeological museum in Varna. Founded in 1887 by brothers Herman and Karel Shkorpil. The museum is housed in the old building of the Maiden High School in Varna on “Maria Louisa” №41. It was built in 1892-1898, designed by architect Petko Momchilov.