The Zoo in Varna is situated in the Sea garden, near Russian Monument. The zoo was opened for visitors in 1961 and became a favorite place for adults and children. In 1962 the alleys were covered with tarmac and the zoo was electrified.
The fox, which was given as a present to “Parks and gardens” in 1950, was the first inhabitant. At that time there wasn’t a real zoo. In 1955 the fox escaped. The first inhabitant of the new zoo was a bear, а present from the sailors of “Georgi Dimitrov” destroyer in 1956. The bear was tied to a tree until 1958 when the zoo construction began. After that Varna hunting association delivered different animals and birds, as well as monkeys from India, etc. The construction of the zoo continued from 1958 to 1961 with total area of 30 decares.
At present Varna zoo is still of great interest for parents and children.