The Museum of Natural History in Varna was built in 1917 – 1918 by the Ministry of War and the building was used as headquarters of the 15th battalion of the Bulgarian Army until 1955. It is located in the northern part of the Sea Garden.
On July 22, 1962 was the official opening of the museum. The research area has been expanded in 1983 and the scopes of the Museum of Natural History in Varna are focused to the Black Sea Area and represents geology, hydrology, flora and fauna.
At first the museum added collections mainly from Hunting and Fishing Association and the Aquarium of Varna. Stuffed mammals and birds were bought from amateur taxidermist Georgi Doykov. The basic principles of thematic plan were complied with the characteristics of the local environment. Valuable assistance, opinions and recommendations were given from researchers from the Institute of Fisheries.
A complete reorganization of the “Geology and Paleontology” exhibition hall was carried out in 2008. The new elements are: complete classification of minerals according to Systematic scale of the famous Bulgarian mineralogist Academician Ivan Kostov from (1993); the origin of the rocks and the latest geochronological scale; fossils from the Mesozoic and Cenozoic. The impressive fossil teeth of ancestors of the present elephant are exhibited for the first time. Two new dioramas are arranged in order to exhibit rare species such as the black stork and the brown bear in their native habitats.