In 1883 by the Varna Literary Society, thanks to the generous donation of prominent public men and patriots from Varna, the “Pencho Slaveykov” Public Library in the city was founded. The library has been a depository of the Bulgarian national literature since 1945.
The library keeps and offers for use books and periodicals (the entire output of the Bulgarian publishers after 1945 and of foreign publishers), manuscripts and archival documents, albums, cartographic publications, official documents, standards, music sheets, records, audio and video cassettes, CD-s, micro-photographs deposited, bought or donated.
The technological library processing of the documents and books and some of the readers’ services have been computerized since 1990. The library provides both conventional and computer catalogue of:
• books in Bulgarian and in foreign languages;
• periodicals publications;
• reference information;
• information about Varna and its region;
• rare books and books of true merit;
Internet access and e-mail services have been provided to the users since 1993. These instruments are used for interlibrary loans and other services, as well.
Over 200 bibliographies and references are published by the library. The “Pencho Slaveykov” Public Library became the Varna Prize winner for 1997 – “For activities in publishing and popularizing the culture and history of Varna”.