Until the middle of the 19th century the place where today the Sea Garden is located was a bare field outside the city walls. In 1862 a small garden was arranged on the orders of the city’s Ottoman mayor. After the Liberation of Bulgaria (1878) mayor Mihail Koloni suggested the arrangement of a city garden and a seaside park in 1881.
The Czech gardener Anton Novák is the person primarily associated and regarded as having done most for the garden’s modern appearance, He was invited to work in Varna by his compatriot Karel Škorpil (1894). In 1939, the architect Georgi Popov designed the garden’s modern central entrance with a wide plaza and tall columns.