Varna Archaeological Museum is a historical and archaeological museum in Varna. Founded in 1887 by brothers Herman and Karel Shkorpil. The museum is housed in the old building of the Maiden High School in Varna on “Maria Louisa” №41. It was built in 1892-1898, designed by architect Petko Momchilov.
The museum store the found in 1972 near Varna oldest gold in the world: Varna Eneolithic treasure dated to 4200-4600 BC. BC. It consists of jewelry and bracelets, mostly wrought or moltened. In alloys the gold purity is of 13 to 23 carats with a total weight of about 6 kg.
Varna Archaeological Museum was created by the Varna Archaeological Society on the initiative of Herman and Karel Shkorpil. The first exhibition was opened on June 11, 1906 in the building of Maiden High School, where the museum is housed today. The building is in neo-Renaissance style, two floors and a large patio. The museum has repositories, libraries, educational children’s museum and exhibition area of 2150 m2. Its first director became Karel Shkorpil who held that post until his death in 1944.
In 1945 Varna Archaeological Museum was nationalized and in 1952 was moved to a separate building – the outgoing school street “Shejnovo” №5. In 1983 he returned to the original building.